Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Rape of 23 year-old Woman in India : My Thoughts


Everybody in the world, especially those in India seems to be talking about the rape of 23 year-old woman in the bus in New Delhi, India. I noticed this news several days ago. The first time I knew it, I wasn’t really interested since there are many more news about rapes already in the world. I just skipped and moved on to another more interesting news for me. But since yesterday, my focus was really on this news. Someone shared a link on Facebook and wrote a note in it about such rape. I read carefully till I got the complete story and felt very surprised.
I couldn’t even describe how my feeling was like when reading that note. My words were only ‘oouuch..’, ‘iiihhh..’ and ‘shit!’. I couldn’t imagine how she felt and I didn’t even want to imagine if I am in her position. Too pathetic and scary.I know her feeling even before I imagine being in her position, and I think so do all women in the world. When I saw her picture, I was like pathetically cursing the six suspects who did it. I would say she is gorgeous. She is pretty, has a beautiful skin, and moreover she is a medical student in one of the universities in Delhi. Can you imagine how that blessed woman end up her life by being raped and murdered by those irresponsible cheesy guys? Shit!! I wonder which part of universe they are from. Hell couldn’t even accommodate those cruel creatures!They are even worse than just bastards!
I was questioning all the time what’s actually wrong with this. How could they be that brutal? The first reasonable thought came to my mind was because in India like in Indonesia, people don’t have sexual freedom. So psychologically says, people who repress their sexual desire will then come up with the actions which are even much more brutal and uncontrolled than they could be if their sexual desire has been satisfied beforehand. These brutal and uncontrolled actions were reflected by raping. When I discussed about this with my mom, she contended that it’s not merely a raping that be case, but also the matter of moral and ethical values the suspects have. If you follow up the news, after they raped the woman, they then tortured her until she was dying. They apparently have low moral and ethical values so when they got into the situation where there was an attractive woman in the bus, they couldn’t control their desire. They wouldn’t do it unless they have high moral and ethical standards which brought them into a rational decision, which is ‘not to rape and torture people’.
I seem to agree with such thought. But then my question is ‘How can we increase the moral and ethical standards of those people?’ I realize that not only in India moral and ethical values matter, but also in Indonesia and many other countries in the world. Indonesia Government has tried to include this aspect into curriculum by making it as a compulsory subject at school. But what then? Nothing changed. My mom and I agree that this is about the quality of the people. How school is able to educate their students in order to increase the quality of the people is the most important. I think the subject about moral and ethical values are just in vain if the teachers aren’t able to promote those values and make them internalized by the students. The quality of the country is seen from the quality of the people inside. Indonesia seems to have low quality I think. So it’s no wonder there are many advanced and smart people decided to stay abroad instead of in their very own homeland. Last but not least, I hope there will be no more brutality as mentioned above and life goes around the peace. ^__^

No comments:

Post a Comment